Monday, February 28, 2011

A Workman's Dream--Snippet 6

....So, I walk to work. It has become a part of me now. I actually look forward to it most of the time. The walking is not what gets to me though. It is the things I see and pass along the way that really get me thinking things I shouldn't be or wishing for things that will never be again, or for that matter, just ever be. All the things I see used to make me angry or bitter, but now they make my loneliness a little deeper and harder to bear. It is liking staring at the sun for me, except without all the adolescent bravado and only the stinging and burning left behind.

    I guess I am making it sound like I make the trek to Mecca or the pilgrimage to Canterbury each day, but its not like that at all. It's really just a three street walk that encompasses only about a mile and a half, or that's at least what I got a friend to measure out for me on his odometer last time we had a downpour here about a month ago when I had to ask for a ride home. I really dislike asking for rides, but people always like to offer; especially married guys with kids. They are always looking for a reason to stay away from home for a little longer, or at least the guys I work with are.

    Even though, it isn't far. it is still a journey I make everyday. And these journeys are things I have been making my whole life. Sometimes, they take me far from what I know, but other times they take me to places I know so well that I miss what I could see because I am only using my own eyes to look around. I know this sounds silly, but it is always traveling. And the traveling may have nothing to do with actually leaving a place. Sometimes, I can be standing in the back of Sears and see an old, red pickup pass by and it instantly takes me to when I was 16 and three states away. I can remember everything about it. I remember the feel of the early morning air, the tingles on my back as I first saw the truck and realized it was mine, the shouts of delight from my sisters and mom as we drove around the block, the reassurance of my father as I jostled the gears and ground them into the column, etc. This remembering is a curse and a blessing for me. It is the driving force for all of my journeys. Maybe, I could say that this is really my story. It is a story of journeys that drive me so deep inside myself that I begin to suffocate on the recollections and only resurface to the present when something shocks me back into it. It is always violent or I would probably never come back because the past is so much better than the present and the future is terrifying.

   Like I just finished saying, its not the actual act of walking that bothers me. It's the things I see along the way.....

Enjoy and be on the look out for Snippet 7,
   David

4 comments:

  1. I understand that perfectly. I see things and am taken to that moment. Sometimes it is good and sometimes it hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    Thanks for checking out the blog. Hope you're enjoying the story and the rests of the posts.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for having such warm memories about the truck! It thrilled me!

    ReplyDelete