Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tonight, I Celebrate My Love For You..... #1



  If you know me, you know that I am not afraid to share my opinion about certain things. If you don't know me, then now you know something about me. This can be good or bad. This is something I am trying to do less of. The older I get the more I cringe when I think about opinions that I shared with folks. Hopefully, they don't remember. I wish I didn't. Several years ago, my students ask me if I hated everything and if I ever had anything that I liked. I then realized two things: 1) I shouldn't comment on things high-schoolers love because I am not in high school; we will never agree and, 2) I should occasionally mention things to people that I like, or love. I even went so far once to go make a list of 100 things that I love and I shared them with the class. I am an extremist. It is in the genes. (I know this is my second comment in a short amount of time about genes. They're on the brain. I am teaching about Genetics in my Biology class) But do not worry, I will not force that upon you. However, I thought I could occasionally add to this series and maybe some of you could let me know about things you love. This list is in no order of importance. Of course Mel should be #2 and the members of the Trinity should be #1. We all know that. So....


Tonight, I Celebrate My Love For You..... Nike Air Pegasus



    This is the Nike Air Pegasus +27. They are my favorite running shoe. I have tried many other brands: Adidas, New Balance, Asics, Somnio, and most recently Brooks. They were all good for a time, but in the end, I came crawling back to the Air Pegasus. There are many reasons that I have come back. Nike has been making this shoe since 1983; a magical year for many out there (My lovely wife was born in 83 and my little sis, Armanda No-Poles was too). Like most products, there have been great years and there have been years we would all like to forget. As I have said, running is like any other hobby in that there are cycles where certain gear is hot and then it disappears from sight; except for the occasional male or female who is trying by themselves to bring said item back. I have been that guy before. It is lonely, but all good causes are, right? They have gone through many aesthetic changes over the years, but overall, the shoe has remained a good all-around running shoe. It is for folks that need a neutral shoe. The Air Pegasus is good for short runs and long runs, they are good for track and hill workouts, they are good for road or trail runs (your socks will get wet, but I am not big on this.)


The 83' Air Pegasus

  One of the best things about the Air Pegasus is the price. It remains a constant price as well. As most shoes keep getting pricier and pricier, the Pegasus remains about the same. It is really good when you can find last year's model and get it for 40-60 dollars. When they first come out every year, they are supposed to sell for $90, but I have never paid that much. The most I have paid is $69.99. Not too bad when, most folks are paying between $90-150 for a good set of running shoes.

   Talk of how much a shoe costs brings something else to mind for me, "how long will they last?" When you are running, they say you are supposed to replace your shoes every 350-500 miles; depending on how often you are running, where you are running, your weight, etc. I like to try and get 350-400 miles out of each pair I buy. I'm not so keen about paying $70 for a pair of shoes that Nike built for $1.25. The Pegasus always last me quite a while and I run in a variety of places and run them through the mill! (Pun Intended) and they still last for a long time. After I retire them, they also last quite a while as yard shoes.

   Several other aspects that I like about the Air Pegasus are these: it is compatible with the Nike Plus system and website, they are great shoes right out of the box and do not have to be broken in (ran a 9 mile run right out of the box and didn't have any blisters), they truly last 300-400 miles, each new model rights what went wrong with the last model, and they have never, never hurt my feet!

Hoping your next shoe will be a Nike Air Pegasus,

   David
  

    

3 comments:

  1. That song gets stuck in my head every time I see this post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Peabo in the Toronto airport - wait, I think it was Aaron Neville. Basically the same right? I like reading your opinion on all the running shoes - I need some new walking shoes. Maybe the Pegasus will get me in shape!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete