Thursday, February 17, 2011

We Interrupt the Regularly Scheduled Story to Ask, "When and Where Does the Insanity End?"

*This post is for those that need a break from reading the story.

This has been a hard week. It has been ONE of those weeks. It has actually been ONE of those months. But this is not a post about how hard my life is because I know each of you have really hard areas of your life too. Everyone does. However, this post is about INSANITY!

   Over the last couple of weeks, I have noticed almost too many things that I am having trouble understanding. Maybe you do. I am asking for help. Understand that it is not easy for me to ask for help. I'm a Dark. It's all in the genes. Here they are:

1. Yesterday, there was a large article in the Macon Telegraph about Facebook. I got the article, but also didn't get it. It was about how the largest demographic for Facebook are people who are 34-46. I get that. It makes sense. But the main part of the article was about how more and more kids are not "friending" their parents and how frustrated their parents are about it. Am I insane? Since, when do you get to decide to let your parents into your life? Since when do you, as a parent, "friend" your child and patiently wait for them to accept you? Whose computer are they on? Who paid for it? I don't have the answers. I mean, I know the answers, but this is insane.

2. This has to do with Cam Newton. I understand what a great football player he is. I know some of you are Auburn fans. But the other day on the Internet, I saw a story about how Newton just signed the largest endorsement ever given to a rookie NFL player. The sum was undisclosed, but he turned down a $90 million deal from Nike. This part I understand, but then the article went on the describe the "trials" that Newton has had to go through. In high school, he got in a large amount of trouble for being given a new Hummer to drive by a school to play for them. He signed a large money deal as his first act as a NFL player. BUT? BUT? He was and is completely innocent for trying to get money to play in college? Does this make sense?

3. This has to do with Verizon Wireless. Everyone month, I go through the same motions with Verizon. I will call it our Wireless Waltz. Every month, they mail me a late notice about my bill. Then about three days later, they mail me my bill. During the three days between my late notice's arrival and my bill's arrival, folks from Verizon call me every hour and want to know what am I going to do about my late bill? I have no answer for them. Why? Because I haven't gotten the bill yet. I do not understand this. Maybe you do.

4. This has to do with the Grammy's. I didn't watch them. We don't have cable. However, the Internet is full of stories about the best dressed and the worst dressed. Most of it, is about the worst dressed. They seem amazed and go on, and on, and on about it all. This I don't understand. The main purpose of an actor/singer/entertainer is to get your attention and make you talk about them. The more you talk, the more money they make. Right? How much would you talk about Gaga if she wore a normal dress and sang songs about loving her husband of 20 years? How many pics of Yo-Yo Ma at the Grammy's were there? He was there.  The answer is zero. I just don't understand the outrage.


5. I love going to the movies. I love watching movies. I credit this love to genetics and my wife. My mom loves going to the movies. My dad loves, or at least used to love watching Univision late at night with the sound off and coming up with lines for the actors to say in English. We once did this together during the 1992 election when things were headed south. It is one of my favorite times I have had with my dad. It was when I discovered he also was funny and probably once really enjoyed talking about silly things too. Mel loves movies almost as much as she loves Coke. However, what is up with almost, every new movie's almost complete dependence on CGI? Am I the only one who can tell the action scenes, airplanes, sunsets, etc. are all fake? Why did all the actors that I grew up with actually do what I got to watch them do; or at least get a stuntman to do it for them, but now all I get is something someone pretended to do in front of a green screen and then some techy-fellow added everything else. I almost can't take it. It is too fake. I feel like I am forever in the SOARING ride at Epcot, but I am the only who remembers that we aren't really hang gliding across the world in two minutes. Well, and Mel does too! And Jack and Lady just want more churros and to do Test Track for the 10th time in a day.

6. Don't worry, this is the last one. It is about the Boston Marathon. The Boston Marathon is the most prestigious marathon in the USA, maybe the world. The reason for this is because it is exclusive. You have to qualify for the race; something I will never be able to do. I understand all of this. What I don't understand is this: before they had qualifying times, no one besides those in MASS. wanted to run the race. Then they added qualifying times, hard ones. Then it spread like wildfire. This coming version sold out in eight hours. I mean T. Swift or CHER don't sell out in 8 hours. GARTH does, but they don't. This made the BAA (Boston Athletic Assoc.) very upset. So, in order to solve the crisis at hand, they.....A) got rid of the standards in order to make someone not really care about running it, or B) increased the hardness of the qualifying standards to make it even more exclusive and more desirable? What would you do? But you know the answer, this is a post about what I don't understand. Maybe you do. Here are the new qualifying times. It looks like I will have to keep running into my 80's in order to get in. Or maybe I should just settle for a local race that offers a chicken biscuit, if I can finish three miles in a little more than an hour. The biscuits are very good, expecially when you grab two and eat one at the race, go home, shower, sleep for two hours, and then wake up to a chicken biscuit! I am sure I burned at least 1000 calories running, right? You don't have to answer. I know it. The answer is yes and I need to eat something sweet and drink some choco. milk to wash it all down!

For 2013, there are new qualifying times


Age Group Men Women


18-34 3:05:00 3:35:00


35-39 3:10:00 3:40:00


40-44 3:15:00 3:45:00


45-49 3:25:00 3:55:00


50-54 3:30:00 4:00:00


55-59 3:40:00 4:10:00


60-64 3:55:00 4:25:00


65-69 4:10:00 4:40:00


70-74 4:25:00 4:55:00


75-79 4:40:00 5:10:00


80+ 4:55:00 5:25:00

Just trying to understand the world around me, but not doing such a good job,
   David

PS: Just heard a radio story about how the FDA has discovered that drinking Coke or Pepsi is not good for you. Who drinks a Coke or Pepsi because they are good for you? I just don't understand. How do you get a job somewhere that you can get paid to come up with "scientific" results like the above. Call me and I will apply!

4 comments:

  1. 1. Kids shouldn't be allowed on FB. And parents no longer beat their children like they should.

    2.IDK anything about that kind of stuff. It makes Matt really really angry though. I should listen better when he goes on rants about these sporty topics. Then I would be able to actually commment.

    3. Hence why we have Tmobile. At&t was always charging us like these random fees we could never explain nor could any customer service rep. Verizon is satan. Truly.

    4. I didn't watch the Grammy's. We don't have cable either. My main issue is why do people care so much what some person wears? Really - what is really so crappy about one's current life that all he/she thinks about is what some uneducated actor (life liar) or some less than talented person is wearing to an award show? Boggles my mind.

    5. The thing about Dad made me smile. Dad and I used to watch that Chinese show where people get hit while running through an OC and eat fruit. Or Jean Claude van Dam (spx?) movies. Dad did laugh and did joke. Just 40 years of BS makes people stop laughing. My issue with movies is the new 3D craze. WTF? Why do I have to wear stupid glasses to see a good film. We now rental from a local store - hitting up the classics.

    6. I have no real thoughts on this topic. Run for chicken biscuits. Seems like a better plan. Or get somebody to sponsor you for the Boston Marathon. Or forget it - and run the Chicago one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was about to lay down an ulitmatum on all the HTH followers. I was about to tell all ya'll that I was about shut this mother down unless someone commented, but now I don't have do that! Mel says she has learned ultimatums always work! And once again, it has. I, also don't understand the 3D craze. And the Chicago marathon is on the radar. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each day I sit in a dazed state about something that is obviously so wrong and it is status quo, too. Each day I look around to see if others are amazed about a stupidity, injustice, or wrong thinking. Everyone is proceeding as usual and I have come to think it may me. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, lately, David, I feel befuddled....old word, but I am old. I agree with everything you said and way, way more. When a parent tells me that they cannot get Billy to wear anything else buy that awful gothic stuff and Billy unemployed. It is a no brainer to me, but obviously that is why it is called a no brainer? The world is coming apart at the seems in the Middle East, America is broke, no one is married and lots of children running around aimlessly and we are worried about what Gaga wore? I want to hide at the Funny Farm and not go anywhere to avoid the confusion in my brain.

    ReplyDelete