Wednesday, February 2, 2011

From Synthesizers to Keytars


  Being a teacher is unlike any job I have ever had. There is something everyday that students will say, or ask, or mention that is from so far into left field that it catches me by complete surprise. You would think this couldn't be true after seven years of teaching, but then you might expect children to follow regular patterns of thought and reasoning. But I am afraid this couldn't be farther from the truth. This always makes me laugh inside, but it also makes me a little fearful of the future. I say this because I am always hearing this, "these children are the future." I think if people really thought about that, they would say it a lot less. Here are some examples of what I mean:

Student: "Mr. Dark, is it true that if I hit my fingers together, they will get shorter?"
Me: "No, I don't believe that's true."
Student: "I heard it from my friend and he is really smart."
Me: "Think about what you are asking. Do you think it makes a bunch of sense that each time you hit your fingers that they would get shorter. Would anyone have long or even normal-sized fingers?"
Student: "I guess it does make sense. I bet it is true."

*In an attempt to explain synthesis reactions, I asked my students this:

Me: "Do you guys know what a synthesizer is? Have you ever seen one being used"
Students: "No, Mr. Dark, I've never even heard of that word."
Me: "You guys have never heard or played a synthesizer. It is a big keyboard that you can make sound like almost any instrument."
Students: "Nope, never, ever."
Me: "Are you serious?"
Student: "Mr. Dark, did you mean to say a keytar?"
Me: "No, I do not mean a keytar and just never mind."



And lastly, from a recent track practice:

Student: "Coach, I better take it easy for the rest of practice."
Me: "Okay, but what seems to be the problem?"
Student: "Coach, when I was little I had to have pins put in my left leg and I think they are getting loose and going to start falling apart and I don't want my leg to fall apart."
Me: "Okay, just run a little more slowly. I am pretty sure you will be okay. I don't think your leg is going to start falling apart from running 200s. You will be just fine. Why don't you jog over and grab some water."
Student: "Sounds good, coach. Thanks."
Me: "You're welcome."

Hope you hear something odd from a child today, or at least hear someone talking about keytars,
  David

3 comments:

  1. Alysa Coven's kid said he was singing "When Jesus Christ was boring" in the Christmas play, I laughed and laughed, but maybe you have that beat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Dave this is the funniest one yet! I just totally broke some rules and laughed super loud in the library! The keytar thing made me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for teaching me what a keytar is - you learn something new everyday!

    ReplyDelete