Friday, February 25, 2011

Me and My Roku


      I know the grammar in the title is incorrect, but there used to be a song on Sesame Street called, Me and My Lama, and I really liked it. Strike that, I still like it. I still sing it to Mel and insert many items in the plce of llama. I would imagine that you could find it on YouTube. Heck, even Helen Keller and the real King George VI are on there. I digress. I am pretty good at that. Ask Mel or my students, but don't ask Jack and Lady. They don't listen. They're over my little stories and anecdotes.

      This is a picture of a Roku player and it leads us all to a confession. Hello, my name is David Dark and I am a Roku addict. Making this confession is not as easy as it reads. It really is the latest card in my house of cards. Admitting I am addicted to Roku leads me to some other confessions that I am not ready to give up as of yet. I pretend I don't like watching t.v. I then sneak home and watch my Roku.This is one of many. Try to keep it on the down low though. It will ruin my street cred with the couple of Hipsters I know.  I'll throw you guys another bone though, one of them is my feigned dislike for air conditioning. It has some truth to it. I lived many years of my life without it and grew to know I like life without it and can live without it. However, I love cranking the A/C down and feeling the cool air come straight out of the vents; especially during the hot, Georgia summer which lasts from early April till mid-December. And...I digress even further.

      I am addicted, but only most recently found this out. Our Roku player died. I did everything I know how to do along with everything that Nada and Raul from India told me to do. They were great. They taught me everything I never wanted to know about our machine and our wireless network. They even asked about the weather in Georgia and what time I went to work, but all of these parlor tricks and pleasantries didn't bring my Roku player back to life. However, a warranty did. My heart skipped a beat. It may have been heard throughout the city streets and parks of New Delhi.

     We received our new Roku player in the mail today. We opened the box and marveled at the wonder of technology and how bright and shiny it all is. We were headed out for a walk. We shut it down; the walk that is. The new Roku machine called out to me and it had to be set up. It is. 24 is on. The movie, Catfish, was on. Everything is back to being ok in the world. Libya has settled down. Oil went back down and OPEC said they would bring it down to 1998 prices because they already have too much money. Obama found more than two Motown artists to attend his Motown Party. The teachers and other public employees in Wisconsin decided it was only fair that they have to pay for some of their retirement funds because most other Americans do. People with just one kid have decided to just drive a station wagon because they are cool again. My students instantly understand radioactive decay. The Roku player is back and so much better. Mel and I are back to saying things like:

  "Ready to Roku?", "Let's Roku that.", "Let's just  Roku for a little while.", "We are so going to Roku that.", and "I need to do me a Roku.", etc.

Life is back to normal. The Roku player is streaming. Jack Bauer is back to saving America from the world and itself. May our Roku never bite the dust again. Hope you will start "Roku-ing" soon. In my RA meetings, they say "Roku-ing" alone is the first sign of addiction. Let's have one last look, shall we?




David


 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment