Monday, January 31, 2011

The Flu



   Last week, I had the flu. It was terrible. I would get up, get ready for school, try to survive for 9-10 hours at school, make it home, take some medicine, sleep from about 4:30-5:00 pm till 6:00 am, and then do it again. It was a truly nightmarish existence. Add to it that the week also consisted of me having to meet with the middle school principal about pacing, then I met with the assistant headmaster about assessment preparation, also had a meeting with the high school principal, got evaluated, and had gate duty. The whole week felt like a painful exercise in trying to pretend to be sober. I am feeling better now. Thanks for asking. My meetings went well. I am not sure how. And I must have resembled the slowest guy in the world as I made change for folks when I had gate duty. I know at one point I almost gave up when a parent paid the $3 fee with a $100. It was almost too much.

So, for this post, I wanted to give everyone some facts from the CDC about the flu. Here they are:

1. In 1918/1919, the flu epidemic killed about 50 million people worldwide.
2. The flu is spread when someone who has the flu sneezes, coughs, or talks.
3. The current flu shot is syntheticwhich means doesn't contain the actual flu virus.
4. Around 49,000 people die of the flu every year in America.
5. The current strain of the flu is called the H3N2 virus.
6. 2009/2010 H1N1 strain only killed about 300 in America.
7. Almost 98% of the people who get the flu shot, get the flu.
8. Until the early 2000's, more folks died from the flu shot than the flu.
9. Getting a flu shot will help you get acclimated to past flu viruses, but not newer strains of the flu virus.


Hope everyone gets better or stays well and away from what I had!

   David

4 comments:

  1. Dad preaches that about flu shots. We have literally experienced people dying a month or two after the flu shot and the explain it away. It is not a good thing to get a flu shot, but you cannot convince the world. I am so glad you are better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember when I got swin flue at your house and you and Mel said I was just trying to get out of painting the bathroom? Yeah what now?

    ReplyDelete