Monday, January 10, 2011

The Death of a Running Goal

I had the best of intentions.

I had read so many accounts of men; many of them older, much older, who had set the same goal and succeeded for years, and years, and years.


I even set the bar low. It was just a mile.


I started so strong.


But then it happened.


The Black Death came to 286 and knocked the door down and let himself in.


I tried to fight it with all my might. I gave it all I had. Nothing seemed to work.


I grew weak. Mel said it was my fever, but I didn't listen.


I went to change clothes, but only made it to the couch. I couldn't hear. I couldn't see well. I was burning up.


Mel suggested we watch a little t.v. We chose to watch a documentary on MS-13. You don't want any part of it. We don't. Trust me. They will kill us all. The program lasted 50 min. I remember 40 min. I went upstairs to rest a bit. It was 7:30 pm.


I woke up the next morning at 11 am.


He killed my running goal with just one sweep of his hand.


That was four days ago. I have been down for the count since. I have only managed two walks of a little over a mile.


I thought I needed to tell you. Keep everyone in the loop. Well, now you have it. All my cards are on the table. I have been sick. Very sick. I have not run for four days. But tomorrow is a new day. I hope that means it will be a new start.

I am very anxious to hit the roads. Tomorrow is supposed to be an ice day in Middle Georgia. It will not keep me from running. Few things will.

David


1 comment:

  1. Move on and do not beat yourself up. You will more than make up for lost time. It is actually good that it happened in January so you did not make it to next fall and then miss....that would have broken your heart!

    ReplyDelete