Sunday, January 2, 2011

The First Run of the Year

    


   There is something beautifully peaceful about the first run of the year. It is something I wish I could hold onto for the whole year, but I never can. It is really hard to even describe and it may just be me. I even forget about the feeling until it comes again. This is sad, but very true. I was halfway through my run last night before I felt it and then it all came rushing to me and was almost overwhelming. I know, I know. I am a freak of sorts and too emotional. I blame a lot of things for this, but all of that is for a different post or maybe never.

    The feeling is so special and peaceful because everything is new. All the worries of pace, distance, mile time, etc are those of last year. There are no race dates to worry about or anxieties when you look down and see you are running a lot slower, but feel like it is so much faster. You have 364 days to achieve all that you have set before you. You are running for the first time of the year. It is all new and all is yet to be realized. Every step is one step towards your new running goals. They all seem impossible, but strangely within reach. You have yet to run your fastest, farthest, most competitive. You have yet to have your body give up on you, hit a wall, or disappointed yourself in a race or run. All of that is to come with the good stuff and you know it will, but for a brief moment it is just you and a whole year of moments where you have every chance in the world to overcome yourself and just run. And from 8:46 pm till 9:07 pm last night, that is what I got to do. I just ran into a full year of possibilities. I got to just run and remember why I do.

  Hope you got to enjoy a good first run of the year,
     David

No comments:

Post a Comment