Thursday, April 21, 2011

Tonight, I Celebrate My Love for You...#3


   To say, that I am a lover of very simple things is a vast, vast understatement. I wish it were not so, but most of my very favorite things are so very simple. Today's item that I love dearly is Smartwool socks. I know this seems a little odd and you find yourself saying, "Really, David? Socks? The whole earth full of items and you love socks? Is this for real? The whole of creation and you pick to love wool socks?" Well, let me try to explain this love for Smartwool socks to you. I am on my feet all day. I teach on my feet. I coach on my feet. Most of my hobbies find me on my feet. I sometimes even watch t.v. standing up. So, socks are very important and, to me, almost nothing beats the feel of putting on clean, dry socks, especially when they are clean, dry, Smartwool socks.

These are Smartwool's socks for runners.

These are Smartwool's hiking socks


  Smartwool is a company from New Zealand; a country that is home to more sheep than people. I can think of no better place to make quality, wool socks than a place like that! The company named itself Smartwool because wool is supposed to be the magic fabric. Wool is the only natural fiber that works with your body temperature to achieve a balanced temperature. This is what wool does on a sheep. This is what the wool does on your foot. In the summer, they cool your feet and in the winter they warm your foot. It does, I'll admit, seem very magical if you value your little feet. Smartwool socks are expensive. They cost about $16.95 a pair on average. While this does appear to be very pricey for just a pair of socks, you must remember that these aren't your typical socks. They are magic socks. They are Smartwool socks. I say this because I have had pairs of these socks since 2001. It is 2011 and they still are in semi-perfect shape. When's the last time a pair of cotton socks has lasted you ten years? I know the answer already.

Here is a little poem I put together about my love for these socks just for you...(and the socks, of course!)

Oh, wondrous woolen creations,
Being both just so warm and just so cool,
Covering my little size eights,
Cushioning my every step,
Comforting my every stride,
Around the track,
Up a trail,
In my leather shoes,
You sit,
Being you,
Letting me be me,
In perfect fiber harmony.

Ok. Ok. So, my weirdness may be complete to you now. I love these socks. I have tried others and been sorely disappointed. Try them out and you will see what I'm talking about. These socks even get Mel's seal of approval and that is saying something.

David



2 comments:

  1. I would never admit it, but I, too, LOVE these socks. Glad someone had the courage to admit the love they feel (pun intended) for these wonderful socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart my smartwools - didn't write them a poem though. . .

    ReplyDelete