Friday, April 22, 2011

"There is Something About the Resurrection...."


      Two days ago at an Easter prayer breakfast, President Barack Obama opened the breakfast by saying this, "...there is something about the resurrection of our Savior, Jesus Christ, that puts everything else in perspective...". I bring this up for you and for myself as we sit two days away from Easter because I feel, at least for myself, that, that is also where I leave it. I don't like to admit this because I want it to be more. I know it means more. I believe it means more. But I am not willing to go through the motions in order for it to garner a true and adequate response from me or my life. Christ died for me. Christ took onto himself every sin I have committed or will commit. God could not even look at me because I am so full of sin, but then Christ died and now when God looks upon me, He sees His precious, sinless, perfect Son.

      I know all of this. You know all of this, but what does it mean. What does it look like in my life? Christ died for me. Christ descended into hell for me. Christ rose victoriously for me. Christ is making all things new for me. Christ has made me acceptable in the sight of God because of what He did. He does all of this for me so that by doing so He brings complete glory to His Father. However, for the most part I take all of this and act like my dog Lady when I give her a piece of meat or a new bone. I hide it and guard it and growl, but I don't dwell in it. I don't rest in it. I don't enjoy it. I hide it. I definitely don't share it. I am exactly like Mr. Obama. I am willing to be at the breakfast and talk about it and say in front of the people around me that, "Yes, there is something about the resurrection, but I am not going to go any deeper than this because if I do, then I am really going to have change some things about me and how I live and I AM NOT DOING THAT!".  (This is me speaking, not Mr. Obama)

       The death and resurrection of Christ calls for, no, demands from us a response. And what is my response going to be? If it is how it should be, then I have no choice about my giving grace to everyone around me. I have no choice about whom to love and where. I have no choice about what to place my hope in. I have no choice about whom I should forgive, how to forgive them, and how often. I have no choice in what I am willing to do for people and how many times. I have no choice about knowing to whom I belong. I am either a son of God because of Christ or I am not. There isn't a halfway point.


     So, on this Good Friday, what will our response be? What will my response be? Will we be willing to agree and say that there is something about the resurrection or will we be willing to live like there is something exact and seminal about the resurrection and live that way. I am hoping and praying that I will be in the latter because I live too much in the former. I live too much with Jesus on Thursday when He was a great leader and speaker. Friday is scary and rising on Sunday is even harsher, but I want to be there. I need a great and powerful Savior. I need the grace that is greater than all my sin. I want to reflect the hope in knowing that the resurrection occurred and that it means what it actually means. I need a resurrected Savior.

Happy Easter. May you rest in the truth of the Gospel and may I learn to do so as well,

          David

No comments:

Post a Comment