Saturday, April 30, 2011

For the Love of Music

  Something that I haven't come entirely out and said on this blog is that I love music. Well, I love certain music. I'm not one of those guys who, "listens to a little bit of everything...", but I do like a variety of music. I can even appreciate a lot of different genres, but the music I like the most contains many of the same elements. So...I have decided to include a portion of this blog to my love of music. I feel like doing a list of sorts and hope we are all fine with that. (If you have to sigh, please do so quietly! I am already currently ruining many of my student's lives and cannot bare to know that I am ruining yours too . If I am by making this little list, I apologize before it starts.)

  So, the audacious title for this list is going to be something like, The Albums That Changed My Life, or something of that sort. Not sure exactly yet. Still have to run it by the crew here at Hines Terrace Herald and they are a tough crowd. Lady hates music of all types. She hates it loud and hates it soft. She especially hates it when you are making it. She has one, real ground rule about and that is that there is never any reason to ever sing and play in her presence.  Jack likes music, but is a Top 40 guy. Words like indie give him the shivers. He also hates hipsters for always giving him a hard time about his play lists and wants me to tell all of you that he didn't start liking Arcade Fire till they got a Grammy! And Mel, well Mel is Mel. She does like a little bit of everything and to my limited knowledge picks up on lyrics faster than anyone in the world. I am sure she could be an astrophysicists if they would only put the math to a tune! And there is me, I have been called a music snob and other things. I can't remember lyrics to save me, but can remember most every song I have ever learned to play. So, Mel and I make a great team that Lady will never be caught listening to!

 The first album on my little list is:




   I began learning to play the guitar when I was a little, twelve year old by. My parents bought my older brother and me guitars for Christmas in 1991. I was sure that I would be famous by Easter, but it was just not that easy. However, about six months into learning to play my guitar teacher let me listen to the above cassette tape. (Yes, I said cassette. I am old. I only have a few good years left in my ears, eyes, hips, and have been looking in to a Jitterbug as of late.)

  I remember hearing the sounds that came through my radio and being completely captured and in awe. It has been 19 years since then and I am still in awe. Mr. Keaggy plays the guitar as Van Gogh painted. You do not hear him moving up or down frets. You do not hear the pick. You do not him do anything that most every other guitarist does. I could not believe that he and I were playing the same instrument. When I played it was rough, scratchy, ill-sounding and when he played it was smooth and perfect. I used to go sleep almost every night listening to this tape, hoping that if I hard it enough I could one day learn to play like him. It hasn't happened yet.

   Well, it has been a long time and I still do not play like him. I have gotten a little better, but do not believe I will ever play like him. He has a gift and plays to return it back to the One to Who he knows gave it to him. If you do not know him yet, please look him up. Some of his songs are a little much, he doesn't have the greatest of singing voices, and is a little obsessed with being the Fifth Beatle, but, but, but, I have listened and seen a lot of people play the guitar and no one does it better nor do they make it look easier. And he does it all with NINE fingers. He lost his tenth in a well while a young man. I saw him a long time ago play in concert and he played all the instruments and parts to all his songs on his one guitar while looping all the sounds he was making. It was and still remains one of the most amazing things I have ever seen a person do. It was truly magnificent.

 All this being said, please give the album a listen to. It is soothing, challenging, and I think it is one of the finest instrumental guitar albums ever made. And if you are like me and try to play the guitar, then you too can use it a a benchmark for your playing.

David
 

2 comments:

  1. I STILL listen to this tape too! I still love Phil Keaggy. Remember the time God placed him in your path and he STOPPED at a concert and signed your guitar? You were fun to have around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like Phil.
    Let's still be friends, ok?

    ReplyDelete