Thursday, March 17, 2011

31 is the new 90, or Happy St. Patrick's Day!



  I did something yesterday, March 16, that is hard to admit, but I will since you, my faithful readers are always forgiving. If you aren't, just keep being quiet for me. It has really boosted my self-esteem. Here are the sad and terrible details:
 
    My alarm went off as it always does at 6:30 am. I laid there for a while and then got up. (It used to be light outside just five days ago at this time, but now it is pitch black which makes it so much harder for me to get out of bed.) I made my way downstairs, made the coffee (literally), laid out our daily vitamins, took my Prilosec, got my XC/Track bag, went back upstairs. I took a shower, weighed myself, and then got dressed. As I got dressed, I remembered that today, March 16, was St. Patrick's Day. I took off the blue shirt I was wearing and put on a green/blue plaid shirt. I was so proud of myself. I made a plan to really get those suckers that had forgotten because, I, for once had not. I finished getting dressed, hugged my wife, reminded her to wear green if she went anywhere, got my things together, drove to school. I get to school about 30-45 minutes before it starts, so I watched each of my 1st Period kids walk in. Only a few of them had any green on. The bell rang. I got up and made my move. I walked row by row and looked for the green. I made it threw rows before a student said:

    "Mr. Dark, what the heck are you pinching us for if we don't have any green on?"
    "That's what happens when you don't wear green, crazy."
    "But, Mr. Dark, tomorrow is St. Patrick's Day."
    "Are you serious?"
    "Yes, sir."

  I then walked back to the front with my head hung low. This was worse than showing up an hour early at church because of the time change. This was in front of very cool sixteen year olds. I tried to play it off, but the crowd was tough. I guess I deserved it. I then went to gather their nightly homework. I always win this game because someone always forgets, but I just didn't feel much like a winner yesterday. I had worn green and pinched  about 12 kids on the wrist before someone had the courage to tell the teacher suffering from momentary amnesia that he should stop doing that a day early. I am glad they did because I would have kept on for the whole day.

Hope you are having a good and real Happy St. Patrick's Day and maybe you too will have a chance to help me through my many, early occurring, Senior moments,
   David

 

3 comments:

  1. I have laughed about this so much every time I think of it. It was the smugness with which you took on this day that was your ruin....pride? I want to remind you that you are a Sooner at heart and that blood runs deep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so funny. Thankyou for the much needed laugh. I do this all time. As a tired mommy of two it can happen any moment. Just the other week I was trying to put my 3 year olds coat on my 5 month old baby. I had her arm completely in before my mom noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed like all day about this. It was AWESOME!

    thanks for the Chicago pic - we didn't get to see the river dyed. They did it the Saturday before St. Patrick's Day. I had to work. Boo

    ReplyDelete