Monday, December 19, 2011

2011 Foot Locker Cross Country Champoinship-Review and Results.

  This year's Foot Locker XC Championship races were some of the best they've ever had. The boy's race was anyone's race for about a half mile, but then quickly became a battle of human limits between the two stars of high school cross country running (Edward Cheserek and Futsum Zeinasellassi), both who were born in Africa, but have matriculated to schools here in the USA. And the girl's race was one of the gutsiest races I've ever watched thanks to the front-running antics of a very courageous and feisty high school runner named Erin Finn who didn't win, but gave everything I've ever seen given in a race.
  The runner that I was rooting for the most was little Grace Tinkey from Macon, Georgia. I helped coach her for three years along with several other more-gifted coaches that I learned a lot from. She came in 6th in this year's race, which bested her 14th place finish last year. But for the majority of the race, she was holding steady in the front pack in third.I know she will be back next year and I'm going to be pulling for her again. She deserves the best and am so proud of the runner and person she has become.
    I watched the races from the comforts of my couch and living room, but did not stay seated long during either race. During a regular race that my runners are in, I spend each race running to the mile marks watching their progress and cheering for them as they overcome themselves and in the end overcome their highest expectations. I missed running around during the race, so I instead ran around the couch and cheered the runners on. Lady and Jack quickly grew tired of my antics and went upstairs to sleep, but I did not let that bother me. But I will let you decide what kind of races they were. Watch the races. They are amazing.




The Boys Results




The Girls Results

Happy Running,

         David

1 comment:

  1. Someday, we will say, "I remember Grace when she ran in Macon"!!!!! I know you are proud of her. The first time I saw her run, I knew she was a big deal.

    ReplyDelete