Sunday, June 10, 2012

Throwing the Yellow Dodder-Snippet 10

Snippet 9 can be found here: Throwing the Yellow Dodder

There are nine previous snippets of this story and I have set before myself the goal of trying to finish this story and two others during these summer months. I will be trying to add to this story and maybe adding the other two stories to the blog. I hope that is okay with you and I hope they're worth reading.


....He knew why I ticked and why I was really smiling." Mable replied having completely ignored Lucy's comment, knowing she hadn't really meant it and Lucy was glad she had......


...She needed a friend who could speak without using words. They never came out and said what you wanted them to. They seemed to craft themselves somewhere deep inside her and then flew out of her, but then forgot their purpose for being made and went their own way. They landed where they wanted and never landed softly; at least her words never did. 
   
    Mable longed to speak with William without the words that got in the way. She remembered driving to St. Augustine in the hours and days after their wedding. They just looked at each other and then out the windows and spoke to each other for days on end about all their dreams and fears. They laid upon each other all their hopes and how they wanted them to go all with nods and smiles. They agreed and disagreed all with glances and twitches. He could read her and she could hear him. They didn't need to talk. Their faces did all of it for them.


    "I know just what you mean, Mrs. Mable. I took some time off and I took my boy down to the coast. It was just too beautiful, Mrs. Mable. It was my first time down to the coast and it blew me away. All that beautiful, blue water and white sand spread out before you like Thanksgiving dinner. It was the prettiest thing I've ever seen. I used to have this place I loved to go down to on the river where the water made its way around two small curves and I used to sit in the middle of that river and think that nothing could be any more beautiful than that, but boy was I wrong. The strangest thing happened to me though when I saw all that beauty confined to one small spot. As soon as I saw it and watch my little boy see it, I wanted to share it with Melvin. Now I know what you're thinking...why in the name of all that is good and holy would she want to share something so beautiful with a rat bastard like Melvin? And you gotta' know that I agree with ya'. I hate that man and all he's done to me and Clive, but I must be pure crazy because something inside me still loves that man and I can't seem to hate him long enough to kill it. And trust me, I've been trying to kill it for the past eight years and it just won't die. You think hate would've killed it, but just the time you think you've buried it dead, something like the beauty of azure water makes it raise its ugly head. Oh' God, listen to me ramble like a crazy woman. I'm so sorry, Mrs. Mable. I'm sure that's more than you ever wanted to know about me. I just..."


    "Now, don't you apologize for nothing, sweetheart. It's just how we women are. If a woman can't talk to another woman than the whole world better shut up. I wish it weren't that way, but it just is and I hate it. I hate it almost worse than Satan himself. I have lived what you're talking about most of my life. There are just some things that won't die and there ain't enough hate, bitterness, lonlieness, or sadness to finish them off. Half my body wants to kill off every thought , memory,  and every everything that has anything to do with William, but the other half just sits there cryin', shakin', and sayin' William, oh' my sweet William, why'd ya' have to go so soon. Why did ya' have to leave me before I was ready to send you off? It about drives me even more crazy than I know I already am. Most of the time I sit here wishin' the good Lord would just take me to home so I could be with my sweet William again. It's all just too much to..."


  "Now look what at what we've started" , Lucy broke in with a high whine, " we're both singing the blues like ole' Blind Willie and wishin' for death or any old thing easier than livin'. I'm sorry I got this whole pity party started. We'd better get to walking and leave this sad place behind."


  "Now, Mrs. Lucy, eighty-eight years of living on this planet ain't no pity party and two women talkin' about the hand thats been dealt to them ain't no pity party either. Now, you just listen to..."


   "I didn't mean pity party like that, Mrs. Mable. It's just all I could think of at the moment. I just didn't want to cloud this beautiful day up with all this sadness, but I guess that Melvin always had a special gift of stealing any joy I ever got, so why would today be any different?"


  "Now, stop it right there, Mrs. Lucy. We ain't gonna place the blame on anyone for anything. Life is what it is and nothing else. I'm an old woman and I've lived a lot of this life and if there's one thing I've noticed is that everything in life is beauty and sadness. Ya' can't go wishing' for one and not get the other. It just wouldn't be right. How would we ever recognize the blessing of a sunrise if we hadn't almost got struck by lightning just the night before? I wouldn't and you wouldn't neither. You can't go round smellin' the roses without getting' stung by a bee and stuck by a thorn. It just wouldn't work any other way. Now I ain't sittin' here in this wheelchair sayin' its fun. I'm just telling you it is what it is. Now, let's get a move on and get some blood movin' or we'll both pass away and then find out livin' was so much better."


 "That sounds like a plan to me, Mrs. Mable. I've always appreciated the truth you always speakin'. I can say whatever's on my little mind and you'll listen and put it altogether for me. I don't feel judged and don't have to listen to someone preach at me 'bout somethin' I already know, but don't want to say out loud. I know what is and isn't livin' right, but life isn't always as cut and dry as some would have you believe it is..."


Be looking out for Snippet 11,


    David
   



1 comment:

  1. The paragraph about the words coming out wrong is profound.

    ReplyDelete