Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Summer 2012: The Summer of Ford



“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”
― F. Scott FitzgeraldThe Great Gatsby

“Maycomb was a tired old town, even in 1932 when I first knew it. Somehow, it was hotter then. Men's stiff collars wilted by nine in the morning. Ladies bathed before noon after their three o'clock naps. And by nightfall were like soft teacakes with frosting from sweating and sweet talcum. The day was twenty-four hours long, but it seemed longer. There's no hurry, for there's nowhere to go and nothing to buy...and no money to buy it with.”
― Harper LeeTo Kill a Mockingbird


  Ford and I realize that summer doesn't officially start till June 20th this year, but we can't afford to drag our short little legs till then. We have got to make hay while the sun shines as they say. So...we have been as busy as a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest or as busy as a bee, or as busy as a WOW gamer at 3am, or as busy as a married man cleaning house when he finds out his wife is coming home a day early, or as busy as a beaver...I guess you get the point. And the thing about Ford is that he hasn't exactly been around for long enough to know how to fill his time, so he and I have had a lot of talks about great ways to spend the summer months, but sometimes he and I don't exactly agree, but we usually find a way to work it out or at least sleep on it after a good cry. So, here are a few things we have been up to as of late and its only June 12th. 

We have been playing catch, but Ford started crying a little when I said that, "The Natural" kills "Field of Dreams". What can I say, he already likes Kevin C. better than Robert R. He'll learn. But he stopped when I admitted that I thought, "Angels in the Outfield" was alright.


We have been catching up on our magazine reading. He says Running Times is the real deal, but Runner's World is for chumps. I tried to show him the merits of both, but he told me that I should just keep reading Garden & Gun and pretending I'd fit in at The Cloister. Ouch.

We tossed the disc around a little, but he said I've got to start thinking like a "handler" and not like a guy who likes to toss the disc on the quad on occasion. He also doesn't see the merits of the deep disc, but loves the short game. I told him I can see why. He said that was cold coming from a short man.

We have been cheering on our Braves, but there have been a couple times when we have had to drown ourselves in some milk after several multi-game losing streaks. He also doesn't understand why Chipper is always hurt. He doesn't really remember a time when he wasn't. I couldn't disagree with him.  

We've also been talking quite a bit. He seems to be interested in most any subject and loves to listen. He is the strong silent type, but when he does talk people listen.

Ford has also been trying to showcase the merits of the opened shirt look. He said it works for him, but not all of us have the body he does. He said mom loves you no matter what. What can I say, the little guy speaks some truth.

We've also had several disagreements. They end badly sometimes. He just doesn't understand some things. I try to tell him how things are, but he says things just aren't fair. 

He is a big fan of mom, but who isn't. She's the best and the only one we both know who can make most things okay.

FH has really learned to love the porch. He doesn't understand why everyone doesn't want a house with a porch. I tried to tell him about the suburbs, but he just wouldn't listen. He said they could have their subdivisions, security gates, prestigious, bourgeoisie names, and manicured lawns. He'd  rather just sit on the porch, watch the neighbors, wave a little, snooze a little, listen to the birds, and feel the breeze in his hair. I couldn't agree more.

We've also been changing quite a few diapers. He said cleanliness is next to Godliness. I told him that John Wesley said it, but he said he heard it was Charles, but he got a raw deal because he played the organ.

We've also been trying to find the perfect summer soundtrack. Sometimes we land on a keeper, but sometimes...

...we land on one we both hate pretty badly.



And we have even spent a week at the beach already. The weather wasn't that hot, but we didn't mind. The company was nice and we got to catch up on our favorite Law & Order episodes courtesy of a TNT marathon. Bring on the rain, grab the remote, and the Smartfood. And he said you don't have to have sunshine to rock the Wayfarers. I agree totally. 


Happy Summer and Happy Reading,

  David




1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I mean, completely amazing! Delightful and so very good. He is going to be a real Dark because he already has all these strong opinions and doesn't bend!

    ReplyDelete