Friday, June 8, 2012

A Meal from the Garden

The pleasure of eating should be an extensive pleasure, not that of the mere gourmet. People who know the garden in which their vegetables have grown and know that the garden is healthy and remember the beauty of the growing plants, perhaps in the dewy first light of morning when gardens are at their best. Such a memory involves itself with the food and is one of the pleasures of eating. The knowledge of the good health of the garden relieves and frees and comforts the eater.
--Wendell Berry, The Pleasures of Eating  
(I sincerely apologize for another Berry quote, but what do you expect from an amateur reader.)


     Something you may not know about me is that I actually really like to cook. And there are few things more fun to cook than food that you grew in your own garden. So, I had some pork chops that I had to grill, but we had nothing to go with it. I decided to go to our garden and find something to go with the pork chops. I picked some carrots, zucchini, and some green onions and here is what I did with them. 


I picked what I thought would be enough carrots for two people. 


A close-up picture of the carrots.

I had previously picked the zucchini and just clipped enough green onion for us to use. The little display of my garden goods.

First you have to wash the veggies.

Then trim them.

The finished product.

The left overs.

The clean carrots ready to be cut.

The carrots on the chopping block.

The cut carrots.

The bowl of carrots.

After I boiled the carrots long enough to make them a little softer, I put the carrots and added about a tablespoon and a half of butter.

I then added two tablespoons of honey and heated them up again hot enough to melt the butter and mix in the honey.

The washing of the zucchini.

The clean veggies.

The cutting of the zucchini.

I added the zucchini to a hot pan with onions and olive oil.

I then added pepper and garlic salt and sautéed the zucchini until it was a little softer.

I then cut up the green onions into small pieces.

The small onions ready to be consumed.

The final product. They all were very good. 

And some of the fun of cooking is the scraps generated that you get to give to the chickens. And so the cycle continues. 

Happy cooking and even happier eating,

    David

   



No comments:

Post a Comment