Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Good Word

"Elijah was afraid and ran for his life......And the Word of the Lord came to him: 'What are you doing here, Elijah?'...."   I Kings 19:2-19.


  I am very priviledged to know the men who I hear these kinds of words from.They are so much more wise than I am and I learn from them each weekly. The Bible verse/chapter is from the chaplain from the school I work at. He is also a friend. (An odd part is that Mel and I used to teach with his wife at the last school we were at. A very small world, right?) The other man is my Bible study leader who I have spoke about in other posts.

Whenever, my Bible study leader (Chuck) hears something he likes or something that is good, he'll say, "That is a good word." or "I have a good word for you.". I love it when he says that and secretly try to get him to say it. Mel and I have even started saying it around the house. Yes, we are kind of using it jokingly, but I still love it. When Chuck says something is a "good word", it is. I have never heard him use the phrase flippantly. He only uses it on "good words".

So, this is a "good word" that I want to share with you...

  Last week, my school had our monthly faculty meeting. I hate the meetings so much. They are a complete waste of time. I have NEVER learned something of true value during one of them. I do love the way we start our meetings though. We start it with a devotion. I ALWAYS get something of deep value out of the devotions. Always. Last week, I got something I already knew, but it is something that I too often forget. It is something that I should NEVER forget. It is that I have but one, single goal in life and that is to bring glory to God. I have but one boss and that is God and He has given me my job and my job is to bring Him glory. My job is not to teach, coach, be a good husband or son, fix up my house, etc. My job is to bring glory. I am to enter every situation with that in mind. There is nothing more and nothing less. I don't have to love my job, love my boss, respect the people I work with, love the kids in my classroom, etc. I have to love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.

   My friend, the chaplain, began and ended his devotion by reading all of 1 Kings 19. Elijah had obeyed God ,but then started thinking about his own safety, desires, comfort, etc. and then became very, very afraid and ran and hid deep inside a cave. God finds him there and sends him outside and shows him examples of power through the wind, an earthquake, a fire, and finally a still, small voice. The only thing the Lord is in is the still small voice that asks Elijah again why he is hiding in a cave and Elijah tells God how bad everything is, how bad everyone is, how no one loves God, how Israel had reject God, how Jezebel wants to kill him, etc. And then God points to all the examples of power and says that He is not in those things, but controls them, so why is he hiding from all these little things.

  I need to read this chapter everyday. I am Elijah, except that I am not as bold. I am in hiding and sitting there deep inside the cave in fear wondering what I'm going to do because everything is so bad and seemingly hopeless. God is not surprised or worried. He is in complete control and the world has never done anything that God has not controlled. Nothing good or bad has ever happened to me that He did not allow. I have a lot of questions, but I have only one job and one thing to trust in. God is in control and He has given me one job. God cannot not be faithful. God cannot not be in control. God cannot not be just. God cannot not be wise. God cannot not be kind. God cannot not be love. If any of that were so , then God cannot be God.

"What doest thou here Elijah (David)?"

Rest in the good word,

David

1 comment:

  1. That is a very good word. I love you so much.

    ReplyDelete