Monday, January 26, 2015

A Funny Discovery

 * I told you, my loyal readers, that some short post where on the way. Here is my attempt at putting one out. Enjoy and if you don't, at least it's short.

Ganadora descalificada por tramposa en un maratón de Estados Unidos

La corredora debería haber batido el récord mundial de media maratón en la segunda parte de su carrera para hacer el tiempo con el que ganó.
      

Foto: www.jdaviddark.blogspot.com
                                                       www.jdaviddark.blogspot.com
 

    The internet is an odd, odd thing. I know you can say that about a billion times and then a billion more times. A few nights ago, my own sweet Melissa was using our home computer and I had just published a post here and I was trying, in a very narcissistic way, to find out if anyone had read it yet and I was doing so on my phone and I typed in my blog address into the address bar and instead of going to the address, it went to Google and up came a search of all things: www.jdaviddark.blogpost.com. There were 5750 of these. How is that and why is that?  Many of the items didn't surprise me to see. There was my actual blog and one of my recent posts and then there was my old Twitter account that I can't remember my password for, for the life of me. There were also several links to Pinterest where folks had taken pics from my posts and "pinned" them. This kind of made me feel good. And there were somehow links to far too many of my Instagram likes. This made me feel a little sheepish about "liking" photos on Instagram for a small moment. There was also a link to a company called, Alexa, which keeps track of the amount of traffic coming to your site and found out that of all the sites on the internet, my blog, The Darkroom, is ranked 2,405, 924th out of all the websites on the world wide web. I think that's crazy and it makes me a little happy. Who would have thought! As you can see, I celebrate even the smallest of things. I have to and you should to. However, the oddest or most laughable item that I saw on the first few pages of links was the above. It came straight off a Spanish website, Atletas. The title, intro, and picture from a little story about marathon running and the experiences of two Latino runners who ran the 2010 Chickamauga Battlefield Marathon; the same marathon I ran that same year. But the picture is not of them at the race, it is of me finishing the race. I'm the guy in white on the left. I got the Spanish teacher at the school I teach at to read the story to me and some of the lines they used were oddly similar to what I wrote in my recap of that race on this here blog. I'm not offended or anything of the sort. I just think it is pretty funny that Spanish speakers the world over who might read that story have to see a pic of me running that my wife took and sort of read my words. I think that is pretty funny and a little odd. There was a also a similar Spanish website called, bodygeek, that used a lot of my post about Plantar Fasciitis, for their post about the same thing. I don't mind, but I once again, think it is odd and funny.

    I guess the best thing I could really say to end this post is for those of you out there blogging away and "surfing" the Net: be careful. You never know where your words or opinions may find themselves being used at or by whom. I know I'll be thinking about that for sure. But it will also make me think that someday, one of my posts may be read by some person in Argentina and they may be reading my words on some other site, "written" by someone else. We live in a weird, weird world!

Happy reading and even happier writing,

DAVID

No comments:

Post a Comment