Monday, January 20, 2014

Two Very Neat Cycling Videos



    
   Ever since sometime last year, I have had cycling on the brain and I just can't shake it and I don't really want to. It happened the day I discovered Grant Peterson, his "Velosophy", his book, Just Ride,  Rivendell Bike Works, and the whole mindset of enjoying something rather than looking at it like a must or a grinding away the hours exercise. I know this mindset is not attached solely to Grant Peterson and the the great folks at Rivendell Bike Works, but they do a great job of exhibiting that train of thought. Public Bikes is another place that does that to, but I prefer Rivendell myself. I have already written a post about all that and if you haven't read it, you can check that post out here. I will just say again that from the day I finished reading that book it was like a giant weight had been lifted from my shoulders and I could finally enjoy riding my bike like I did when I was a kid. And ever since then, I have been finding ways to ride that way almost every day. Most of the time, I am doing it this way:



   But, I've also been doing it solo and with a couple of friends on some great Sunday afternoon rides and some pretty fantastic night rides. It is so much fun to just wear normal clothes, hop on your bike, and ride. And spend the time looking around instead of pushing through the miles and checking them off your list of things you had to do for the day and constantly feeling like your less than you need to be. I spend my time rather spotting neat things to stop and look at and wondering why everyone else isn't doing this. And to my surprise, I feel like I have become a better rider in the process. 

   Anyway, enough of that. I stumbled upon these two gems while doing some internet snooping for bikes. I have watched them too many times to honestly say and I've made my poor wife and son watch them to. They do so patiently and pretend to enjoy them. They make me want to go ride and I hope they do the same for you. I am looking forward to the day when FH is old enough and we can start doing a little of this. The Rivendell folks call them the s240. They are these great camping overnights where you ride about 45 min. to an hour away from home and camp for the night and then ride back in the morning. No real commitment and not so far away that if something went wrong, someone can't come rescue you. The s240 stands for "sub-24 hours". Well, enough typing and time for some viewing. 



Back to Earth from El Zumpango on Vimeo.



Back to Earth Two from El Zumpango on Vimeo.

Happy reading and happy watching,

    DAVID

No comments:

Post a Comment