Wednesday, July 11, 2012

My First Father's Day

“Bear in mind, children, that they listen to you because you are kids—not because you are right. That's how our Father listens to us.” 
-Rich Mullins


“He knew only that his child was his warrant. He said: If he is not the word of God, God never spoke.” 
-Cormac McCarthy, The Road


“And so seated next to my father in the train compartment, I suddenly asked, "Father, what is sexsin?"
He turned to look at me, as he always did when answering a question, but to my surprise he said nothing. At last he stood up, lifted his traveling case off the floor and set it on the floor.
Will you carry it off the train, Corrie?" he said.
I stood up and tugged at it. It was crammed with the watches and spare parts he had purchased that morning.
It's too heavy," I said.
Yes," he said, "and it would be a pretty poor father who would ask his little girl to carry such a load. It's the same way, Corrie, with knowledge. Some knowledge is too heavy for children. When you are older and stronger, you can bear it. For now you must trust me to carry it for you.”
-Corrie Ten Boom, The Hiding Place

   An older man that I used to work with and that I really looked up to told me one day while we were eating lunch that he thought that God gave people children as part of their path towards Sanctification. I didn't really understand what that meant till Ford came into this world at 10:06 am on April 26th. My life has not even been close to the same in any capacity. I am slowly seeing the truth that my older friend was trying to tell me about. I will never be able to see or think about God the Father and Jesus the Son again in the same light. I can now not imagine God's only son on a cross begging for help and the agony of turning my back. I can now see the dove flying and God beaming down with such pride at His son. I can now wonder about being a true child of God. Little Ford just sits in my lap and we swing and he talks to me and I am so happy for him to do so, I can't seem to even understand why God would be so glad for me to just talk with Him. I am thankful to God and to my sweet wife Melissa for giving me such a great little boy. The wisdom, knowledge, and responsibility that he brings that I do not have terrifies me, but know that my father and my heavenly Father does.  Anyway, I will write much more about that later. I am still amazed and overwhelmed by all of it. There is so much that I can't wrap my small brain and amount of understanding around. 


    Needless to say, this past Father's Day meant more to me than others in the past. I am not saying that the others haven't meant anything to me because they have. I know most of what I know about anything because when it comes to fathers, I've got one of the best, but this Father's Day....I was a father this time. And Mel and Ford made it so special that I was overwhelmed. I got Mel to take some pics for me as I enjoyed such a special and wonderful day. 

The day started with my favorite...scrambled eggs. And they tasted so much better since the eggs, tomatoes, and herbs came from our yard. 


And while I ate, Ford told me so much about all I do not know about. He is getting to be a great maker of sounds and I yearn to hear them all. He was great breakfast entertainment.

After breakfast, Melissa and Ford presented me with some great presents. For my first Father's Day, Mel and Ford got me three great things: Snickers, David's Sunflower Seeds, and Atlanta Braves tickets. They couldn't have gotten me anything better. 


On top of the great presents, Mel and Ford also made me a very special Father's Day lunch. The best part was the homemade, vanilla ice cream. It rivaled Blue Bell's Natural Vanilla Ice Cream and we all know that is saying something. 


And here is the main course. Mel makes the greatest and my favorite of all pizzas. She makes the dough  for the crust by hand and then adds pesto, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese. It is an amazing slice. And yes, she makes the pesto from our basil and the tomatoes are from our garden. God gave me the best one. I am humbled by such a great woman.


Two of my favorite things: San Pellegrino Lemonade drink and Mel's pizza. You would be hard pressed to find a better lunch.


And then after the great lunch, Ford and I sat down for a heaping bowl of homemade vanilla ice cream. 



I had a wonderful 1st Father's Day and am looking forward to the next 50.  Hope you enjoy the pics and the post. 

David

3 comments:

  1. My absolute favorite Corrie ten Boom story/quote....use it often....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your journey has just begun......it is so exciting. I delight in reading your thoughts on it all. Wait til that little boy is waiting for your car to drive up and rushes to hug you when you come home. There is nothing like it! I love you. You are a great father. I mean that. You are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete