Friday, June 10, 2011

A Love-Hate Relationship

I love technology.




I hate technology.


   I have this little battle inside myself and maybe you will understand it. Maybe you do too. One part of me loves technology. I love my phone, my iPod, our laptop, my Roku, my car, AC, our gas stove, my gas grill, the grocery store, electricity, city water, etc. But, I also have this other part that is very strong in me. It hates technology, no, it loathes technology. It hates my phone, email, the internet, people's GPS devices, our t.v., my iPod, commuting, etc. I'm not real sure how to balance all of this out. Part of me wishes I could have lived in the early 1900's, well, maybe a lot of me does. And then there is a third of me that is so glad we live in 2011.
     I love the author Wendell Berry. He inspires me to do and be many things. I am trying. We have a garden. We have two chickens. We seldom watch t.v. I ride my bike to work sometimes. We keep the air on 80. We read on our porch. It isn't about "saving the environment", it is more about completely enjoying all of God's creation and the life He has given to us, to me. I came across this article that he wrote in 1987 and it's title is, Why I Won't Buy a Computer, and I love it. If you have a chance, please try to get a hold of it and read it. It is so very good and it is short. At the end of the essay, he gives a list of his criteria for any new device that he buys and I think I am going to adopt it. Here it is:


1. The new tool should be cheaper than the one it replaces.


2. It should be at least as small in scale as the one it replaces.


3. It should do work that is clearly and demonstrably better than the one it replaces.


4. It should use less energy than the one it replaces.


5. If possible, it should use some form of solar energy, such as that of the body.


6. It should be repairable by a person of ordinary intelligence, provided that he or she has the necessary tools.


7. It should be purchasable and repairable as near to home as possible.


8. It should come from a small, privately owned shop or store that will take it back for maintenance and repair.


9. It should not replace or disrupt anything good that already exists, and this includes family and community relationships.
 
                                --Wendell Berry, Why I Won't Buy a Computer, 1987

What do you think?

David

1 comment:

  1. "i remember when i used to really be into nostalgia"...that Dimitri Martin is a funny guy. I remember my grandfather saying, "do something you are proud of." that sounds more like generic grandfather, but I have found it usually leads to good stuff. he was super handy, and i am usually very destructive, but when i build something and win, or ride the bike to school, tend the garden, sit outside and watch the birds, i always feel proud and often think of him.

    btw, i love sherwood anderson. my modern lit prof. dr. johnston (did you take him) told me that anderson died swallowing a martini tooth pic. don't know if thats true, but it stuck, and i have repeated it with some confidence on at least two occasions. you know all those times s. anderson comes up in a conversation.

    would melissa and yourself be interested in coming over for dinner one night soon? if you don't mind the craziness, we (i have not talked to april, but i am sure she will be game) would love to have you over. i also know this is not your email address, so will refrain from longwinded personal notes in the future, and will not be offended in the slightest if you delete this.

    Matt Kitchell

    ReplyDelete