Thursday, June 9, 2011

Just What I Have Been Up To






   Hello Hines Terrace Readers,

    As the saying goes, "Time flies when you're having.....", so has been the case with Mel and me the last several weeks since I last posted. We will say that time flies when you have more to do than there is time because that has been our story here at HTH. Here is a quick recap for those of you:

  1. Gave exams to my Physical Science and Biology classes. Both exams had well over 150+ questions. I then spent the next several days grading them. Gave my exam on a Monday and all whole year's grades were due on that Thursday. If you do the math (and believe you me, I did), it comes to something like 18,000+ questions to be graded. The school I work for doesn't believe in the Scan Tran tests, so I was grading math questions, short answer, fill in the blank, true and false, etc. I know teachers have it easy. We get two months off for goodness sakes. Who else gets that? Oh' yeah, the millions of people who work shift work like nurses, some doctors, factory workers, etc.

2. Shut down my classroom for the summer. This sounds easy, but it takes days.

3. Celebrated Memorial Day with some friends and spent the whole day in the pool. I haven't done this for ages. It was awesome. I then nursed a sunburn for a couple of days, but it was well worth it.

4. Got new tires put on our Subaru Outback. I have never spent so long at the old Wal-Mart's, ever. Period. I felt like I was in one of the deleted scenes of that Wal-Mart baby movie, Where the Heart Is, starring Natalie Portman ,pre-Black Swan. "I want my baby....", said in your worst fake Southern accent.

5. Sprained my right ankle for the billionth time while hopping the neighbors fence to get my basketball. What am I, 8?

6. Got Mel packed, ready, and sent off to spend a month at Camp Desoto in Mentone, Alabama. she is the head of their Arts & Crafts program at the camp. She also is there Sunday Speaker. I like to call her our very own Camp Evangelist! It is a great camp and I wish I was there too. We spent the our first summer married there. It was awesome. I have never in my life been so great at Ultimate Frisbee, but then again, I was playing middle school girls.However, rumor has it we are never spending this much time away from each other again. I would believe it if I heard it!


7. Went to change the sprayer on our kitchen sink and ended up replacing the whole thing. Not fun, but it looks nice and only leaks a little bit. Just kidding!

8. Spent the last four days in Fitzgerald with Melissa's very kind family. I have been working 10 hour days with her dad. This can be translated as getting very dirty, very hot, very sore, but also getting driven to work (What did I get my license for again?), eating fresh food from their garden, being bought breakfast and lunch, and sleeping in a house that is not empty. I was very well taken care of and they are very generous to let me come and live with them.

Well, those are only a few of the things we have done since I last posted. Summer is here and Jack and Lady are hating the heat wave, so we are taking almost daily visits for a good cool soak in the Ocmulgee River. They need it. Me too. I hope to have some time in the next week to update the blog again. Thanks for checking it. It really does mean a lot.

Leaving to go see my Sweet Melissa tomorrow!!!!!

David

No comments:

Post a Comment