Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Just What I Have Been Up To

So, it has been more than 10 days since I last wrote...Sorry. It is the holidays and time was spent elsewhere. Hopefully, you will forgive. So, here is what I have been up to in no order of importance, sequence, or significance:

1. On Sunday, December 19, I woke up at 6 am and drove to a local Chic-fil-a and met the Reeder's and two of my XC runners and we drove to Helen, Ga and participated in the annual Brasstown Bald Buster 5K. It took us three hours to get there and we got to registration and were welcomed with snow flurries and sub-30 degree temps. We weren't allowed (thankfully) to run to the summit because it was iced over. We did run a 1.5 mile course up and down. It is by far the hardest race I have ever run. It took me 23 minutes to run the 1.5 miles up and 5 minutes 50 seconds to run back down! It was terrifying. I would have finished about a minute faster, but spent some time trying to stop and then had to tie my shoes. The fastest I have ever run a mile was when I was 19 and I did it in 5 flat. On that day, running down Brasstown Bald (the highest point in the state of Georgia) I ran a 4:48. My shins still hurt!




2. Left Macon at 2:00 am on Monday the 20th and drove to Fitzgerald. I started the drive, but only lasted 20 miles. Mel drove the rest proving again that she is the best co-pilot and late-night driver. We arrived at 3:30 am. We will NEVER do that again, but you do what you got to do. (In less that a 24 hour period, I was running a race in the mountains of N. Georgia and driving a car in S. Georgia. Mel sewed a Christmas present and did two weeks of baking in a day. Watch out Ricky Martin...we are still living La Vida Loca!)



3. Spent 3 great days in the Fitz. Worked 1.5 days for my father in law. Went out to dinner with Nana at the Flying Cowboy in Douglas. Had snack supper and there were many pigs in a blanket to be had and they were had! Celebrated an early Christmas and received more generous gifts that I deserved. I will not say all I got, but if you see me, I will look nice courtesy of Mark, Pam, and Nana and will come home to a 32'' flat screen t.v. courtesy of Jonathon. I will feel like I am watching SVU on someone else's t.v. Also, ran three nights under an awesome full moon, but didn't hear my alarm to wake up to see the eclipse. I know. I know. It was only something like a 100 year mistake.


4. Left the Colony City on Wednesday and drove to Sunny FLAUSA. I have forgotten to tell you that, Jack and Lady have been along for the ride. There is nothing quite like riding in a packed station wagon and watching people drive by smiling. I just hope Jack and Lady were only making funny faces at them and not mooning them or worse, but I think we know where and what Jack thinks is funny and Lady isn't exactly family friendly at times. I will only say that they should now better, but neither of them will say the Sinner's Prayer and believe you me...Mel and I have tried, cried, yelled, prayed, punished, bribed, etc, but nothing seems to work.

5. Checked , The Christmas Carol, out from the FPD library and finished it the day after Christmas. I had seen many different versions of it on t.v. (none of them beat The Muppet version though, sorry.). It was very good and Tiny Tim gets to live because of four very good Ghosts. I really liked the book and am amazed that Dickens could think of all of that in the 1800's. I am amazed and in awe.

6. Took Jack and Lady to a dog beach. They lived it up for about 2 hours. Jack swam. Lady ran. I got wet. Lady almost caught a Sandpiper. Lady licked a dead jellyfish. Jack saw two dolphins. Lady played chase with Winston (Sarah's dog). Jack used the restroom on the boardwalk. Lady bit an armadillo. A good time was had by all. Mel took some awesome pictures and will include some of them in days to come.

7. Spent a day at Disney with my Mel, my mom, Sarah, Matt, Amy, and Forrest. Had an awesome time. There isn't any place quite like Disney. Yes, it is crowded. Yes, it was expensive. However, it was awesome. Rode Space Mountain until I was sick. Ate some delicious food. Rode Peter Pan, my favorite ride since I was old enough to be cognisant. Saw snow over Main Street. It was so cold the whole day, but we had an incredible time.

8. Played catch with Forrest (who gives great Christmas gifts!) until my right arm hurt.

9. Went four-wheeling.

10. Acquired a desk for our house that used to be mine. I did most of middle school and high school work on this desk. It is like getting an old friend back.

11. Reread, The Red Pony, by Steinbeck. I forgot the pony dies. Very good. Better the second time. Made me think of Beau.

12. Took some great walks in the woods with my wife and dogs at the house of my youth. Everything seems so much smaller, but is just as good. Few things are prettier to me than a Live Oak with Spanish Moss hanging in it. It speaks of mystery never to be known, but always shown. I grew up in an awesome house and had a wonderful time in those woods.

13. Spent some quality time with my mom's new dog, Cooper. He is a great pup.

14. Ran 5 miles on the Florida Trail with Jack and Lady in the Seminole State Forest. It was beautiful. We had the whole forest to ourselves. A serene run. A run I will miss.



15. Got back to Macon at about 9:15 last night. Felt so good to be home. Slept in my own bed. Sat on my own couch. Have a lot to do, but have spent the morning getting Mel ready, going through 10 days of mail, trying to wake Jack up (he needs a vacation from his vacation), and typing this post.

Hope you had a great Christmas and thanks for reading this blog,
  David

1 comment:

  1. It warms my heart when you speak of your home, your woods and even your desk so fondly. So many people have only bad memories and you bless me with your words. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete