Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wired Running 1

        
                                            I am about this bad, but let's not jump the gun.


       My twin is a purist in the most extreme fashion. He runs for pleasure. He reads for the story. He eats for the pleasure of the taste. His clothes are for warmth and protection. He doesn't have his t.v. hooked up to Cable. I could keep giving you examples, but you probably get the idea. He is an idealist and purist. He is dangerous. I am sure you would agree.

       Believe you me....I am not like him. I am a firm believer is running wired. How else would I know how far, how fast, how long, where to, how good, etc? Are you wanting me to just listen to my body and my breathing? Then, you my friend are crazy; almost as crazy as my twin. I couldn't do it. I want to, but just simply can't do it. I have been talking myself into a once a week "naked" run. (Don't worry--the clothes stay on all the time while running. No one is ready for that. No one. It is a running term that means running without a watch.) And I just can't do it. Maybe after November 13. We will see.

      Anyway, that is not what this little post is about. It is about my addiction to running with gadgets. This also yields to an addiction of "logging" my runs or recording them. I am now up to four locations for one run. Once again, please, please do pray for my wife. She is such a patient woman, but am afraid I am reaching the horizon of that patience. It is time to get down to the "logging" business.

       For the past two and a half years, I have been addicted to this contraption:

   
         This is the Nike SportBand. It cost $59 and can be purchased at a host of places. I bought mine at Dick's Sporting Goods. It is a good tool for a runner who wants to see his/her progress. No, it is not a perfect tool. Yes, it has weaknesses and flaws, but it did cost $59. The alternatives cost $200+ and until recently have only been about a tenth of a mile more accurate and that to me is not worth $150. This is what my first SportBand looked like. It had some water resistant problems. This is also what my second SportBand looked like. It also had some water resistant problems. This is what my third SportBand looked like. I wasn't allowed to come back to Dick's for a little while. I sent my wife. She wasn't allowed to come back for a while. I swore off the SportBand and Dick's, but came back to both. I am insane and have an addiction. I need help. There currently exists no counseling options for this type of addiction yet.

       You may be reading and thinking that I would have some extreme dislike for the SportBand, but the opposite is true. I love the SportBand. It cost $59. I have had, including my current one, four of them and have only bought two. Using the SportBand is easy and fun. Yes, I said fun. Nike has been working on it since they put it out and every year it gets a little better. The SportBand comes with a chip that you put in your left shoe, if they are Nike+ capable, or on top of the shoe if you have an adaptor. The chip looks like this:

  
    Once you put the chip in your shoe and the SportBand on your left wrist, you are almost ready to run. The only thing that you have to do is calibrate it. You have to run or walk a distance greater than .25 mi. I ran a mile on a track. It does have to be calibrated on occasion due to you changing shoes, pace, routes, etc. After this is done, you are ready to run.
  
     I have run over 2500 miles wearing the Nike SportBand. I love it. The SportBand keeps track of your distance, pace, time of run, time of day, and calories. Once you have finished running is where the real fun begins. You plug the SportBand into your computer (Yes, it does double as a USB stick!). The computer uploads your run to the Nike Plus website. It looks like this:



  

     Once on the Nike Plus website, you can see your run and the progress you are making. You can set goals for speed, distance, weight, amount, time, pace, etc. You can also join into challenges against other Nike Plus users. I love these; sometimes it is what motivates me out of the door and onto the street. They are all different, but are usually something like, "The First to 100 miles in October." These challenges are too much fun to participate in. It always makes me try to get in just a little bit more everyday. And they also give out virtual trophies for the achievement of goals and winning a challenge. I have a trophy case! (Just wanted you to know I am humble) But also know it is much like Little League. I could set a goal to run 2 miles this week. I could run those two miles and achieve my goal and I would get a trophy. So, having a lot of trophies is not as awesome as it sounds.

   Anyway, if you see me running, know that the SportBand is on. Know that once I finish running, I will record that run in four different places. I am insane. I know. Did I mention that I love the SportBand? Get one fast!

   Looking forward to my next run with the Nike SportBand,
       David

1 comment:

  1. I never knew. I just never knew.

    ReplyDelete