Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year from Hines Terrace Herald






“The object of a New Year is not that we should have a new year. It is that we should have a new soul and a new nose; new feet, a new backbone, new ears, and new eyes. Unless a particular man made New Year resolutions, he would make no resolutions. Unless a man starts afresh about things, he will certainly do nothing effective.”  ― G.K. Chesterton




“For last year's words belong to last year's language 
And next year's words await another voice.” 
― T.S. EliotFour Quartets



      We here at Hines Terrace Herald want to wish everyone who takes the time to read this blog a very Happy New Year. We hope that 2013 will be a year filled with the things in life that have eternal value.  We hope it is a year filled with lasting joys and true peace. We hope that you will set aside time each day to see the truth, beauty, and goodness that each days holds, but doesn't beg us to see. A new year is an item of great hope in the chance to have 365 days to do the things you meant to do during the last 365 days, but never took the time to do or rather that time didn't let you do. It is a chance for you to be better than yourself from last year. No, I'm not talking about the superficial things, but I am talking about the things you see and know about yourself that makes you shake your head and wish they weren't apart of you, but know they are who you really are. 

     2012 was a hard year for us, but it was a good year. It was the Year of Ford Hendley Dark. He has changed our lives forever, but it is for the better. A wise man once told me that having children was part of the sanctification process and I thought it was an odd thing to say, but when I hold my dear son in my arms or watch my beautiful wife smile at him and work with him with all the patience that a person can have, I think that the wise man wasn't so crazy after all. Having a son has made me think so many new things about Christianity and how God looks upon Christ and how God looks upon me. He is the Father and now I am a father. It humbles me to no end to think about Christ calling out to his "Abba" and his Father having to turn his back to him. I can now think about God looking down and telling everyone that Jesus was His son of whom He was well pleased. I am in no way saying I understand any of this, but can only now sort of get the surface of these thoughts.

    2013 will be the year Ford learns to walk, talk, and I will get to live in those moments with Melissa and we will shape our lives and will forever be changed and it will be for the better. Yes, some things we used to fill our time with will be put on hold or replaced, but when I look at them from this side, they seem a little silly, but I'm glad we did them. It is hard to imagine what I did before I got to watch so many sunrises holding a brown-eyed boy who one day will be able to move his tongue and purse his lips to say daddy and each of us will know that we have a pretty, brown-eyed lady resting upstairs that we both need and love so much. 

 We wish you a very blessed New Year,

   David, Mel, and Ford



James 1:19--This you know, my beloved brethren. But let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger;

1He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by[a] him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.  Colossians 1:15-20






No comments:

Post a Comment