Sunday, March 25, 2012

Putting Together A Crib or How to Wrestle an Allen Wrench

 
  Everybody needs a good place to lay their head at night. My coming little boy had zero places to do so. It wasn't our fault. We ordered the crib from a place here in Macon. They took three days past forever to get it in. All we can figure is that elves really did widdle the crib from the Cedars of Lebanon. That is the only thing that could have taken a place around 8 weeks to get the most common type of crib in the country. But that is only one of the things we have learned in these last seven and a half months since we learned that Mel really does know how to make everything. She can now even make a human. We have learned that you can have a baby here in Middle Georgia, just don't try to buy baby furniture. You can order it though and when you drive to attend your son's high school graduation, you can just swing by and pick up his baby furniture or something close to that.

  So...the crib came in. It sat in the car for two days till I lugged the box that was larger than me upstairs and let it sit for several days. See, we here at HTH have been crazy busy. We both have been working from sun up till far after sundown. In fact, I've been doing about three 15 hour shifts as teacher/coach about three days a week for the last several weeks. But that all ended for me for a small span of time. I'm on day two of Spring Break 2012. It started at 5:00 PM on Friday. We celebrated by grilling some hamburgers and eating our weight in fresh corn. And after said feast, I walked upstars, ripped open the crib box, unloaded the contents all over the room, read the directions, and decided it was high time my boy had a bed to sleep in. Then I saw I had to put it all together with the smallest allen wrench ever made. I thought about trying something different, but instead just used it and dropped it about 100 times in 30 minutes, but the crib got put together anyway with a lot of help from my pretty, pregnant wife. I guess in a way my boy is already helping me out. It's a stretch, but it's my blog. So...here are the pictures and the result. Hope you enjoy. I think he will. I hope he will.

The detail-less directions with many not drawn to scale pictures.

Turn your computer around 90 degrees and then you can see me trying to figure said detail-less directions out.


The beloved allen wrench. How could someone not love a tool that makes organic chemistry problems look pleasant. And the picture is to scale. Putting together a crib with a tool smaller than my fingers. Something's not so right about that.

The contents of the crib box minus the box of hardware.


Putting together the first two sides.


Putting in the spring level.

The finished product.

Standing by my work.

The finished crib, fully furnished, in the morning light.



Many happy slumbers my little boy,

David




1 comment:

  1. You are at the beginning of putting things together! Just wait until you are putting together things the night before Christmas! It is a journey! The bed is beautiful. He will go from a tiny, small baby to a kid who will be able to sling leg over and get out! That is in one year! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete