Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Year Resolutions




   I have waited so long to give my resolutions for 2012 because for some reason, I feel a little gun shy this year. I feel like I made all these great resolutions last year and then some of them got pushed so far out of focus and there are few things I dislike more than saying I'm going to accomplish something and then not being able to accomplish whatever it was. I guess I share this with my dog Jack. We have high highs and low lows. I guess my whole little immediate family does this. And so, I have very mixed emotions when it comes the goals I set before myself in 2011. I had some great successes: I read many of the books I have been wanting to, wrote some more on several stories, finished some stories, ran my fastest 5k and 10k, and had several 50-60 mile running weeks. But there were some horrible defeats: I didn't run every day, I tore my achilles which has sidelined my running since late October, ended my marathon and half marathon goals, as well as my mileage goal. I also wasn't able to read or write all that I wanted to because other books seemed more attractive or other things demanded my time.
     So this year, I was not going to have any goals or resolutions, but saw that old quote about if you don't plan on where you're going then you'll end up somewhere you don't want to be and it got me worrying about this whole year. So, I've decided to pretend to be optimistic and say, "It all happens, right? Life and all the other things that make it up get in the way and we aren't able to do all we want, but accomplishing something is better than accomplishing nothing. Right? Or we wouldn't need to set goals because we could just say we are going to do something and we would just do it. But we all know that isn't the case."  So, I have made a few VERY general goals for myself this year and here they are in no order of importance:

  1. I want to keep reading and pursuing good books.

  2. I want to make time to write and produce at least one good story this year.

  3. I want to let my achilles heal properly and get back to running.

  4. I want to finish fixing up the inside of my house and begin on the outside.

  5. I want to learn to be a wise husband and in time learn to be a wise father.

  6. I want to share all of my favorite and secret things with my son even though I know he won't really understand them....yet.

   7. I want to grow a great garden this year.

   8. I want to make a bicycle commuter out of myself.

   9. I want to develop a habit of having a devotional.

  10. I want to become a wise steward of all that God has given me.

Well folks, those are my goals. I look forward to working towards them and what I will learn from each of them. Hope you have set some goals for yourself. If not, you should.

Happy New Year (Still saying it because I still am wondering where all of 2011 went.),

David

1 comment:

  1. I agree, I have been hesitant to actually call them resolutions: wear retainer, eat correctly, read certain books, get all credit cards paid off, lose weight, be joyful, etc........it is all the stuff we know we need to be doing.

    I have one: spend serious time with God each day......then the others fall into place!

    ReplyDelete