Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Pet Peeve

  

   Everyone has their certain pet peeves. Right? Am I alone? My lovely wife, does tell me that at times I am. At least, I am, in my pet peeves. To be honest, the reason for this is that I have a lot of little pet peeves. So, here is my pet peeve, or at least one of them:

                  This (fill in the blank) is the best (fill in the blank) of the month/year/decade/ever.

      I am not real sure that many people can or will agree with me, but statements like the one above get the best of me. Here is an example:

"Once a Runner"--The best book about running EVER written. What does this say about books written about running? What does this say about the other books? I am a book snob. I will not deny this, but how can a book (a rambling one) about a runner who at times seems unintelligible is the best book about running. There are times when the book is good. Times when the writing is good. Times when the writing makes you want to run, but the BEST book ever written about running? How can one say that? Better than the book about Bowerman and his Men from Oregon? Better than Bart Yasso's account of his life on the run? Better than Christopher McDougall's account of barefoot tribes that can run hundreds of miles at a time? It just makes me wonder. How can someone say this? I hope that I am not alone in this, but will be okay if I am.

Having the best day ever! (Just playing)

   David

3 comments:

  1. Sunday night was the best Ingleside Pizza EVER!!! EVER! EVER!
    For realz.
    I stand my ground on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been eating at that place for 8 years on and off and Sunday night was the best? I question that profusely! Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, Mel, that quirk was handed down from Foy Daddy. We pass a sign that reads..."Best beer in Lake County..." and Foy Daddy has always gone on and on about, "how do they know? have they tasted every single beer in Lake County to compare, what if there is a new beer that no one knows about...." Apple - falling right below the tree......

    ReplyDelete